[Samba 4] Separate the WINS server from smbd

Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer mwallnoefer at yahoo.de
Sat Sep 8 06:53:32 GMT 2007

Yes Jelmer,

Jelmer Vernooij schrieb:
> Hey Matthias,
>
> Am Freitag, den 07.09.2007, 22:06 +0200 schrieb Matthias Dieter
> Wallnöfer:
>
>> Jelmer Vernooij schrieb:
>>
>>> Am Freitag, den 07.09.2007, 14:46 +0200 schrieb Matthias Dieter
>>> Wallnöfer:

>>> Do you mean as a separate package or as a separate binary? A separate
>>> binary doesn't gain us anything (you can already disable wins in smbd if
>>> you like). A separate package is a lot of work, as there is so much code
>>> shared between the two, and it would make the process of building Samba
>>> harder.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Jelmer
>>>

>> No, I really thought to make it as a separate binary. Here the reason:
>> Because later, when SAMBA 4 is production ready, I could choose in a
>> distribution the packages with the specific SAMBA features (f.e.
>> samba4core, samba4printing ...). There it would be much simplier if I
>> have for them different binaries (samba4core - smbd, samba4printing -
>> smbprintd ...). I would unbundle some bigger components, so that the
>> core daemon hasn't to manage too different exercises (it doesn't handle
>> f.e. DHCP and DNS). That I propose also to do with WINS, because it
>> isn't an essentially part anymore (different in SAMBA 3 - NT 4 domains)
>> and so some people doesn't need it. Also in Windows Server you have to
>> install the WINS server optionally.
>> So I prefer the samba4wins package solution that should be packaged from
>> the SAMBA4 branch with a standalone WINS daemon binary.
>>
> The different services in Samba 4 can be loaded from DSO's. You should
> simply be able to build the wins part as a separate .so that can be
> packaged separately. Samba will automatically enable the WINS support if
> the DSO is available.
>
> I'd rather not have different binaries as that would require us to do
> communication between the various different binaries and it makes it
> harder to manage a running samba daemon (starting/stopping,
> starting/killing Samba as part of the test suite, etc).
>
> What do you think of using DSO's for this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jelmer

I appreciate your solution. This should also work when you have
different packages for SAMBA 4 in upcoming distributions. You can choose
what you want, and I find this OK.
Please have a look also at the registry bugs filed in bugzillla, Jelmer.
I've tried to fix one, but it seems the registry backend is a bit
incomplete yet.