[Samba 4] Separate the WINS server from smbd

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Sep 7 22:14:42 GMT 2007

Hey Matthias,

Am Freitag, den 07.09.2007, 22:06 +0200 schrieb Matthias Dieter
Wallnöfer:
> Jelmer Vernooij schrieb:
> > Am Freitag, den 07.09.2007, 14:46 +0200 schrieb Matthias Dieter
> > Wallnöfer:
> >
> >> I would like to propose the idea to separate the new WINS server from
> >> the core smbd in the branch. My reasons:
> >>
> >>     * WINS isn't an essentially part for an AD domain, but for a NT4
> >>       style one
> >>     * also the DNS naming service wasn't and isn't are core part of SAMBA
> >>     * I could have a WINS server when I wouldn't have it as a file
> >>       sharing or domain controller machine
> >>
> >> Basically we have there the SAMBA4WINS package, which I find is the
> >> right example. Maybe we should name the new executable for the WINS
> >> server not "smb4wins" but "winsd" or so. Thoughts?
> >>
> > Do you mean as a separate package or as a separate binary? A separate
> > binary doesn't gain us anything (you can already disable wins in smbd if
> > you like). A separate package is a lot of work, as there is so much code
> > shared between the two, and it would make the process of building Samba
> > harder.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Jelmer
> >
> No, I really thought to make it as a separate binary. Here the reason:
> Because later, when SAMBA 4 is production ready, I could choose in a
> distribution the packages with the specific SAMBA features (f.e.
> samba4core, samba4printing ...). There it would be much simplier if I
> have for them different binaries (samba4core - smbd, samba4printing -
> smbprintd ...). I would unbundle some bigger components, so that the
> core daemon hasn't to manage too different exercises (it doesn't handle
> f.e. DHCP and DNS). That I propose also to do with WINS, because it
> isn't an essentially part anymore (different in SAMBA 3 - NT 4 domains)
> and so some people doesn't need it. Also in Windows Server you have to
> install the WINS server optionally.
> So I prefer the samba4wins package solution that should be packaged from
> the SAMBA4 branch with a standalone WINS daemon binary.
The different services in Samba 4 can be loaded from DSO's. You should
simply be able to build the wins part as a separate .so that can be
packaged separately. Samba will automatically enable the WINS support if
the DSO is available.

I'd rather not have different binaries as that would require us to do
communication between the various different binaries and it makes it
harder to manage a running samba daemon (starting/stopping,
starting/killing Samba as part of the test suite, etc).

What do you think of using DSO's for this?

Cheers,

Jelmer

Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org