Talloc and Tdb spin offs

simo idra at samba.org
Fri Sep 7 12:57:43 GMT 2007

We had this argument on IRC and MLs before and I like to resurrect it.

In the past we talked about spinning off talloc and tdb (and ldb too at
some point), so that they could become projects on their own.
The reason is that these pieces are in a stable state now (from the API
pov) and many other projects may find them useful.

Spinning them off would also mean we can share them between samba3 and
samba4 without keeping potentially diverging code bases in each branch.

In any case as the primary goal is to make them available I'd like to
make samba3 use them as libraries so that packagers can at least build a
libtalloc and a libtdb package out of the samba sources for a start.

Once samba3 uses them as libraries spinning them off will become much
easier.

Opinions?

Simo.

--