[Samba 4] Separate the WINS server from smbd

Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer mwallnoefer at yahoo.de
Fri Sep 7 12:46:07 GMT 2007

Hi all!

I would like to propose the idea to separate the new WINS server from
the core smbd in the branch. My reasons:

    * WINS isn't an essentially part for an AD domain, but for a NT4
      style one
    * also the DNS naming service wasn't and isn't are core part of SAMBA
    * I could have a WINS server when I wouldn't have it as a file
      sharing or domain controller machine

Basically we have there the SAMBA4WINS package, which I find is the
right example. Maybe we should name the new executable for the WINS
server not "smb4wins" but "winsd" or so. Thoughts?

Matthias