Where to for Samba4?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 6 11:51:51 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 07:37 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> As a mere administrator who humbly injects his opinion...
>
> > Finally, I've heard all manner of different people give views in the
> > press about where Samba4 is heading - a separate release, a DC only,
> > just another head of a Samba3 borg?
> > From my point of view, I'm expecting to make a release, with good DC,
> > and hopefully good file-server capabilities.  But I would like to
> > discuss what (if anything) Samba4 means to more than just myself.
> > Thoughts?
>
> If I could create an AD domain with working group policies and OpenLDAP
> integration, and continue to use Samba3 for file-services, printing,
> etc... I'd be dancing in the street and passing out flowers to
> strangers.  As would many of the IT people I know.

The tricky part is the OpenLDAP integration - currently this only works
if you take over the OpenLDAP server, replace the schema etc.  The real
challenge will be mixing this with a 'normal' schema.  However, I do
think this will be possible.

The Group Policies stuff seems to work already (at least in some cases).

But rather than the flowers, what I need is help.  The amount of useful
work I've got done simply due to good, solid testing over the past few
weeks surely proves that 'humble administrators' are just as valuable as
coders.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.