Where to for Samba4?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Sep 6 11:37:20 GMT 2007

As a mere administrator who humbly injects his opinion...

> Finally, I've heard all manner of different people give views in the
> press about where Samba4 is heading - a separate release, a DC only,
> just another head of a Samba3 borg?
> From my point of view, I'm expecting to make a release, with good DC,
> and hopefully good file-server capabilities.  But I would like to
> discuss what (if anything) Samba4 means to more than just myself.
> Thoughts?

If I could create an AD domain with working group policies and OpenLDAP
integration, and continue to use Samba3 for file-services, printing,
etc... I'd be dancing in the street and passing out flowers to
strangers.  As would many of the IT people I know.