Where to for Samba4?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 6 11:24:03 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 20:02 +0930, Dan Shearer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 07:22:41PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > Just because something might be nice to have, doesn't
> > mean we have the resources to implement it.  That is what this
> > discussion is about - what we can do, rather than what we would like to
> > do.
>
> Andrew would it be helpful to create a similarly tenative list only with
> the things that not going to be implemented? Might help focus the
> discussion.

It could be the world, but in particular, I don't think we will
implement in the near future:
 - printing
 - interfaces only used by NT4 management tools (and not MMC)
 - RAP interfaces (pre-RPC interfaces to some functionality)
 - two-way replication with AD
 - A more than minimal SWAT
 - forest support (would require that two-way replication)

Given the developer resources available, pretty much any major feature
not already present is not going to be present in a final release.

The only border case is member server support, which I hope to see
improve (frankly, we need all that code for trusted domains anyway)
before we make a release.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.