[SAMBA4] Adding users via MMC fails

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 6 04:28:29 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 21:04 -0500, Matt Schwartz wrote:
> I am trying to use dsa.msc to add users and I get an error with the
> MMC console.  I get as far as setting a password, clicking next, and
> Finish.  I then get the following error, "Windows cannot set the
> password for <user> because: The remote procedure call failed."  Thus
> far, I have been able to join machines to the domain.  Does it matter
> that I am using VMWARE Workstation for both the Samba server and
> Windows XP client?

VMware has for many years been the tool of choice for Samba developers.
I only just moved from that to KVM, but neither should be causing that
kind of issue.

I just tested this with MMC from WinXP, and it works for me.  Have you
made a clean build?  Have you done a provision recently?  Is there
anything interesting in the logs, on in a wireshark trace?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.