Where to for Samba4?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 6 02:21:53 GMT 2007

Now that we have an alpha release, I thought I would try and start a
discussion about where Samba4 should go.

Clear targets we already have on the Wiki are:
 - Clustering support.  This code started in Samba4, and I hope that in
time, Samba4 can use these features.
 - Schema enforcement.  One, not unreasonable, suggestion has been to
make this become the responsibility of an OpenLDAP (or Fedora DS)
backend.
 - Access control.  We now store NT ACLs in LDAP, and honouring them
(rather than kludge_acls) should not be that hard.  Likewise on the
registry (should have been done for the alpha...)
 - One-off active Directory migration.

Some other tasks I see for the near future:
 - Kill the LDB browser and move back to SWAT1 in Samba4, with
phpldapadmin either run inside SWAT, or with apache.

A list of targets is useless, if they bear no resemblance to what is
likely to be achieved.  Similarly, most of the work done on Samba4 in
the past few months has not been on the roadmap, but just the response
to well-filed bugs in bugzilla.

One particular thought I've had suggested is to try using OpenLDAP to
handle schema validation and subtree renames (by always using an
OpenLDAP hdb backend).  Likewise, should we trim unlikely features such
as NetBIOS browsing from the list of features folks may expect from
Samba4?

Finally, I've heard all manner of different people give views in the
press about where Samba4 is heading - a separate release, a DC only,
just another head of a Samba3 borg?

From my point of view, I'm expecting to make a release, with good DC,
and hopefully good file-server capabilities.  But I would like to
discuss what (if anything) Samba4 means to more than just myself.

Thoughts?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.