"Password must change" versus sambaPwdMustChange attribute

werner maes werner.maes at icts.kuleuven.be
Wed Oct 31 11:13:10 GMT 2007

hello

I've read this thread on samba-technical
(http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2007-May/053497.html).
see below
I'm running samba -3.0.25 and would like to set the password last set time.

I've tried this command: pdbedit --pwd-last-set-time="2007-10-31"
--time-format="%Y-%m-%d"  but it does not work.

<quote>

If you need to force it for a single user, then choose a password
last set time accordingly (zero would be fine to force it now).
</quote>

How can you do this (set the password last set time attribute using pdbedit)?
I would like to force my users to change their passwords.

kind regards

werner

On 5/24/07, Volker Lendecke
<<https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba-technical>Volker.Lendecke
at sernet.de> wrote:

 > On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 10:28:05AM +0200, Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski
 > wrote:
 > > it seems that on 3.0.24 field sambaPwdMustChange has precedense
 > > over  "maximum password age"
 > >
 > > on 3.0.25 it looks different:
 > > - "maximum password age" has bigger precedence then sambaPwdMustChange
 >
 > This is by design. We now dynamically calculate the maximum
 > password age from pwdLastChange plus account policy to match
 > what NT does.

Yes, this is the key part: we are now doing it correctly, and we weren't
before.  If you need to force it for a single user, then choose a password
last set time accordingly (zero would be fine to force it now).

--
Jim McDonough