vfs_ea_tdb

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Mon Oct 29 00:32:42 GMT 2007

Simo,

 > What about format compatibility? Are you going to address that?

we can't get format compatibility now. A while back s3 decided to use
a different format for DOS attributes in xattrs, after s4 had already
chosen a format. I protested at the time but it was still done in an
incompatible fashion.

Now this patch from Volker builds on that, extending that existing
incompatible format for dos attributes, by allowing xattrs to be
stored in a tdb as well. That's a natural continuation of the xattrs
dos attribute format in samba3.

So the option for it to be compatibile was lost a long time ago. It's
damn annoying, but thats how it is.

All we could do now is make both support the other format, with config
options choosing the format. So users will end up with the pain.

Cheers, Tridge