bug in net command error reporting

Karolin Seeger ks at sernet.de
Fri Oct 19 13:54:13 GMT 2007

Hi Steve,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 10:17:06AM -0500, Steve French wrote:
> In exploring some password expired and account expired errors, I tried
> to list users on a server with the net command and noticed that when
> the account authenticated in SessionSetup as guest, net was not
> returning an error (just an empty list) when doing "net rpc user" and
> "net rap user" to list users in the domain (similarly when getting
> information on a particular user).

you are right, the net command does peculate error messages in several cases.
I am going to fix that bit by bit.

Against which server are you acting with these "net rpc user" and "net rpc
user info" commands?

> Looking at the wireshark trace:
>
> net was not reporting the STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED on SamrGetGroupsForUser
> (for "./net rpc user") or SamrQueryDisplayInformation (for "./net rpc
> user info username")

Could you please provide this trace?

Cheers,
Karolin

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.SerNet.DE, mailto: Info @ SerNet.DE