Is there a way to force debug for "wbinfo" utility?

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Tue Oct 16 13:34:57 GMT 2007

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>> According to its source code (3.0.26a), it seems
>> that unlike "smbclient", "wbinfo" has no "-dLEVEL"
>> option...
>>

> Correct.  In the majority of cases you should be debugging
> winbindd instead of wbinfo.

Unfortunately it does not help me much, even with log level 10 ...

I have a case, when an uid has no correspond user name. It is vefy
often, f.e. when a user was deleted, but his files are left in the
filesystem. "ls -l" shows just numbers in the "uid" or "gid" fields for
such files. "getent passwd <uidnumber>" shows nothing.

When I use winbind nss with "idmap backend = rid" and such an uid is in
the range, then "getent passwd <uidnumber>" shows something strange, but
must show nothing.

How to reproduce:
Samba is 3.0.26a,
idmap backend = rid
range, say 1000-100000

Try any "unexistent" user, f.e. 1000 :

# getent passwd 1000
:*:1000:0::/home/:/bin/bash

i.e. instead of empty output, we have something with "empty" username!

And "ls -l" fields for such uidnumbers are then empty (not numerical, as
should be).

~buc