LDAP/Samba 4 summary

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 2 18:32:49 GMT 2007

(please forgive the cross-posting to subscriber-only lists)

Howard Chu helpfully wrote up this summary of the meeting we held at the
CIFS Workshop on how Samba4 should work with an LDAP backend.

The background is that Samba4 increasingly needs some things that an
LDAP server could provide for us.  In the short term, we need to add
subtree renames to ldb_tdb, but OpenLDAP's hdb already provides this for
us.

Likewise, we have a desperate need for replication (because any site in
need of Samba4's features will want multiple DCs) - and Fedora DS's
replication seems like a very good, solid answer.  (Sadly it doesn't
give us subtree renames...).

Another feature we don't yet do schema validation in Samba4, beyond
checking that the objectClass list is valid.  We need to extend that,
but perhaps the LDAP server could do that validation for us?

Finally, in the long term, we would like to have Samba4 play nice in a
multi-use directory, and this presents a schema mapping problem.  We
agreed to get together and try and work out a schema that is compatible
to Microsoft's extensions, without being too painful to see from a
traditional client.  I hope to put together a discussion on this in the
near future.

I expect we will continue to use and support ldb_tdb as a backend on
Samba4, but for some features (which they will want), users should be
directed to use LDAP as an important backend.

Andrew Bartlett