BUG: vfs-cifs hangs from windows explorer: access denied: cause write size

Amin Azez azez at ufomechanic.net
Fri Nov 30 13:09:14 GMT 2007

* Andrew Bartlett wrote, On 30/11/07 02:20:
> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 12:19 +0000, Amin Azez wrote:
>
>> Well this is the patch that proves the bug; sadly the client doesn't
>> take the hint, and keeps sending large writes, but at least the files
>> get saved.
>>
>> I/we still need to work out how to propagate the real limit.
>>
>> I think we ought to have this patch as a safety net; and if not the
>> solution, at least the warning.
>>

> Regardless of if the client should be doing this, perhaps we should
> write a torture test that verifies this behaviour?  That would allow us
> to prove that truncating the writes is the correct thing to do, and
> ensure we don't regress on this.

I think that truncating the writes is not the correct thing to do, the
patch was merely to prove the cause of the bug.

I'm finishing a slight framework for splitting async operations into
multiple async operations, collating the results and resolving errors to
the single operation.

I'll need it to prevent the problem of short reads, and it can prevent
short writes here.

Sam