If the server returned less than we asked for we're at EOF

Amin Azez azez at ufomechanic.net
Wed Nov 28 17:11:01 GMT 2007

* David Collier-Brown wrote, On 28/11/07 16:20:
> No, less than read is sufficient if and only if you're looking at an
> unchanging file.
I guess thats hard to tell without trying another read, maybe thats why
all the cifs clients I tried so far keep reading.
> (zero bytes read || feof) is sufficient IFF its an unchanging file
thats not what you just said. I'm not trying to be pedantic, I really
want to understand.

I think zero bytes read || feof is sufficient.

I'm asking if bytes-read < bytes-asked, because my samba experience
(ancient and modern) suggests not if bytes-read is also > 0
> EOF on a constantly growing file is just hard (;-))
indeed.

For my case (as a proxy) I'm trying to find out if returning a short
(non-zero) read because it's all I have right-now is dangerous because
the client would not be incorrect to act as if it were eof.

Sam