Long term use of Samba 3.0.14a sees smbd grow to 103MB RSS then OOM

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Mon Nov 26 01:49:20 GMT 2007

Hi,

I have been doing some test on one of those small NAS server thingys that
uses a Marvell SoC with 128MB and Samba 3.0.14a (and Linux 2.6.12 or
something).

The goal has been to copy more than 2TB of data to the device behind the
NAS, however, I have had problems getting there.

I am copying a file-set that consists of some 70,000 files and directories
and some 30GB in total, and got to 20 or so copies before the SMBD serving
my workstation grew to around 103MB and the OOM killer on Linux triggered
taking out some other important processes. I tend to have multiple threads
going on Windows (multiple copies via explorer).

Clearly this look like a memory leak, and I wondered if this has been
addressed in subsequent releases or if others have seen this situation. I
am about to start looking into whether or not I can reproduce this on
Intel where I can run valgrind, but I recall valgrind being run in the
past so this might already be a case that has been resolved.

Regards
-------