samba-docs

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Sun Nov 25 01:19:47 GMT 2007

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 04:34:14PM +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> Steve Langasek пишет:
> >On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 03:02:08PM +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> >>I wish we would support only more or less recent systems. Like one
> >>or two stops behind current release of xsltproc commonly used in
> >>the distros. This gives us about 1-1.5 year old distributions
> >>(counting from regular 6months-based releases most of vendors tend
> >>to follow). The notable exception is Debian though.

> >Debian, and Ubuntu LTS, and RHEL, and... :)
> In fact, all recent releases of those are within 1.5 year threshold
> right now. That's OK.

But they all have life cycles longer than 1.5 years, so making "1.5 years" a
policy will at some point affect each of them.

> Steve, can you confirm that there are problems with samba-docs build on
> current Debian stable?

[...]
Generating Samba3-ByExample.tex...
xsltproc --stringparam latex.documentclass.book letterpaper,11pt,openright,twoside --stringparam latex.imagebasedir "Samba3-ByExample/" --xinclude --output Samba3-ByExample.tex xslt/latex.xsl Samba3-ByExample/index.xml
compilation error: file http://db2latex.sourceforge.net/xsl/qandaset.mod.xsl line 366 element template
xsl:template: error duplicate name 'question.answer.label'
make: *** [Samba3-ByExample.tex] Error 5
[...]

Current Debian stable was released 7 months ago with xsltproc 1.1.19, FWIW.
The same problem happens with Debian unstable and xsltproc 1.1.22.

And currently Debian's target release cycle is ~1.5y as well, which puts it
on the short end of the enterprise support cycle.  Maybe you don't want to
support building the docs on such older systems, that's fine, it may not be
reasonable to do development work on such systems; I'm just pointing out
that there are some significant Linux distros besides Debian with a > 6mo
release cycle.

vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/