Uniquely identify a windows server using just SMB/NetBIOS..

Jeffrey Morris jmorris at kazeon.com
Thu Nov 8 04:21:21 GMT 2007

Hi Guys:
Thanks for the quick responses!

I did see the Server GUID in negProt, but I also saw that it was not
being consistently returned by all
of the servers that I connected to. :-(

So I returned to thinking about Workgroup/NetBIOS Name. But even this
has no guarantees, as
the name is only good within the domain/workgroup, and if the network
is not well setup, then there
could be duplicates. (WORKGROUP/MYPC without WINS would only be
defended within the
broadcast sub-net for MYPC, correct? )

Thanks;
JLM

On Nov 7, 2007, at 5:27 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 12:24 +1100, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
>> If it is a member of AD you can do a negotiateprotocol and look at
>> the
>> SPN returned from it.
>
> Also windows servers return a GUID in the Netprot reply.  This (I
> think)
> matches up with something in AD...
>
> Andrew Bartlett
>
> --
> Andrew Bartlett
> http://samba.org/~abartlet/
> Authentication Developer, Samba Team           http://samba.org
> Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.

Jeffrey Morris
jmorris at kazeon.com
(510) 558-9595 (Home Office) (510) 517-9157 (Cell)