Samba with Autocad Sheet Set Manager

Gregory A. Cain greg at gregorycain.net
Tue May 22 18:46:42 GMT 2007

Hello,

We are a 30-person architectural office in Sacramento, California, using
AutoCAD 2006 on Windows.  Our main file server is running Samba
3.0.10.1.4E.6 on RedHat Enterprise ES 4.

This release of AutoCAD has something called a "Sheet Set Manager,"
which uses a master file (.dst file) which needs to be open and
accessible to all project users while they are working on their
projects.  AutoCAD does not lock this file when it opens it.  The Linux
permissions are set correctly on these files.  Samba is also not locking
the files - smbstatus -L | grep .dst returns nothing.

The problem is that only the owner of the file is able to write to the
file - something is locking it.  One post I've read refers to the
"sticky bit," and perhaps that's what's causing the problem, but I don't
know exactly what that is or how to fix the problem.

I've tried moving the file to a share on a newer server - Samba
3.0.14a-6ubuntu1.2 running on ubuntu 5.10 - Breezy, but the problem
still exists.  I've set up a share on a Windows 2000 Pro (not server)
desktop, and the files work as they should.

I could, I guess, continue to run this way except for the fact that a
Windows desktop can only accept 10 connections at one time.

I really, really, really do not want to have to buy a Windows server to
fix this problem, but I do have to fix it.  If anyone can shed some
light on this, it would be very, very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg