smb-proxy

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 18 06:40:11 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 16:08 +0200, Saman Behnam wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> i managed to build a new functionality for the Samba
> server, i call it
> smb-proxy.
> It's attached as (smb-proxy_v6-2-3.zip) archive, if u
> want to know what
> it is.
> Can u plz tell, whats the best way to publish it?
> (since it's GPL)
> I tried the wiki.samba.org but no way, i can't edit
> any stuff there,
> even after registering account.

In terms of the wiki, due to automated spam, we just need you to send
wiki-editor at samba a short mail with your username, and you can get
edit privileges.

But I'm wondering:  What are you trying to achieve with this program?
Forcing CIFS access via the Linux kernel's smbfs (in particular) seems
to be a very good way to break things, even if the aim is to create a
security proxy.  (At the very least look into the cifs vfs kernel
filesystem).

The point is that the POSIX interfaces provided by the Linux kernel are
good, but not good enough to create an actual CIFS proxy.  We just loose
too much information in the translation process.

Perhaps have a look at Samba4's CIFS proxy ntvfs backed?

But I don't want to discourage you too much:  The idea of a Linux proxy
for vulnerable windows machines is I think very valuable.