Problems with dfs and Samba 3.0.24-5/3.0.25-7 - please help

Jeff Coffler jeff-list-sambatech at taltos.com
Thu May 17 00:59:41 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm running Fedora Core 6, and I'm having a heck of a problem with
Samba.  I'm pretty sure it's related to the dfs code.  I noticed this
code change from Jeremy:

    http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-cvs/2007-March/075343.html

It seemed like this was related based on my level 3 logs.  But I
verified that 3.0.25-7 has that fix, and yet my problem continues.

My server is just a simple standalone server with user authentication.
When I connect from Windows XP, I get:

    % net use x: \\miffy\jeff
    System error 3 has occurred.

Samba 3.0.24-1 (downloaded as part of FC6) works perfectly.  The above
works without an issue.
Samba 3.0.24-5 (downloaded as an update of FC6) is broken.
If I download 3.0.25-7 from Samba.org for FC6, it's broken.

In the logs for the broken cases (log level 3), the point where I
*think* things go sour is here:

[2007/05/16 14:27:29, 3] smbd/msdfs.c:get_referred_path(624)
  get_referred_path: |jeff| in dfs path \miffy\jeff is not a dfs root.
[2007/05/16 14:27:29, 3] smbd/error.c:error_packet_set(106)
  error packet at smbd/trans2.c(6184) cmd=50 (SMBtrans2) NT_STATUS_NOT_FOUND

It goes downhill from there.  But I'm not certain, as I don't have a lot
of experience looking at Samba logs.

I have log level 3's of the working case (3.0.24-1) and the broken cases:

The working case:
    https://webdav.taltos.com/jcoffler-lap.log.good

The broken case (3.0.24-5):
    https://webdav.taltos.com/jcoffler-lap.log.bad.24-5

And the broken case (3.0.25-7):
    https://webdav.taltos.com/jcoffler-lap.log.bad

I'm at a loss of where to go from here.  Can anyone offer any advice?
It seems like there was some sort of code change here that broke things,
but my usage case seems so simple, I just don't get it.

Is there something I need to add to my configuration in later Samba
versions?  I did take one of the new smb.conf files and reapplied my
changes; this didn't seem to help.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated ... thanks!  If I can provide
further details to help pin this down (log level 10's or whatever),
please let me know.  I'd be happy to provide whatever you guys need.

    -- Jeff