3.0.25rc3 and printer location string

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Wed May 2 14:39:22 GMT 2007

Hello list,

I took a closer look at the code in nt_printing.c which pulls the
printer location and comment string from cups.
When I access my test system with one printer from XP, go to the
"printers and faxes" folder, right click on the printer and select
"properties" this results in more than 100 get_a_printer_2 calls in the
samba code.
Since I haven't assigned any comment or location string, this results in
as many requests to the cups server trying to receive the strings.

This behaviour results in a significant performance loss and I don't
think, it should be enabled by default.

I currently do not see any other way than extending the service
structure with a location string, extending the pcap_cache struct and
load the string during the service load.

Comments?

Regards,

Martin

Martin Zielinski             mz at seh.de