initial test version of CTDB clustered Samba available

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Tue May 1 03:57:11 GMT 2007

As some of you may know, a few of us have been working on 'CTDB', a
project to create a scalable clustered Samba implementation. We have
now reached the point where wider testing of our current
implementation would be useful, so we have created a setup guide in
the Samba wiki here:

  http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/CTDB_Setup

If you don't have a real cluster to play with then the instructions
also show how to create a set of virtual nodes over loopback.

You might also be interested in a talk I gave on this last week at
SambaXP in Germany:

  http://samba.org/~tridge/sambaxp-07/ctdb.pdf

We are particularly pleased with the performance results on page 17,
which show just how far we have come with clustering since the initial
(very early) attempts at just putting the tdb databases on shared
storage.

At the moment ctdb does not do automatic recovery when a node goes
down, so it is principally useful for high performance servers rather
than high availability servers. We are working on automatic node
crash recovery now.

Cheers, Tridge