Interest in contribution to SWAT - Net Manager Module

Rafal Szczesniak mimir at samba.org
Sat Mar 31 20:27:16 GMT 2007

Ray,

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 05:07:33PM -0600, slogo2ra at uregina.ca wrote:
> I am currently enrolled in an Open Source Software Development class
> at the University of Regina (Regina, Saskatchewan Canada).  My
> instructor, Brad Henry, has suggested I contact you in regards
> to a term project (due April 21) which would contribute to the Net
> Manager module under your guidance.

Yes, I was discussing it with Brad. I'm glad to see another student
is interested.

> I've gone through the basic structure of the  Net Manager module and
> my assumptions are that you are trying to add/update/display users,
> groups and services (Windows XP, Windows 2000,Windows NT?) from the
> windows registry.

Short answer: yes and no :)
Yes, I want SWAT Net Manager to be able to add/update/display as you
say. No, I don't limit it to Windows systems - Samba should be able to
do that too (both locally and remotely) and it is not based on windows
registry at all - even though it actually allows to operate on the registry.
The remote means are dce/rpc calls, the locals are - well, that depends on
the task, but commonly ldb.

> Do you have any specific design documents or
> specifications which would help me further understand the Net Manager
> module and any idea how I can contribute to the project?

First you should look at the libnet code to get a brief overview of what
it does, and then look at ejsnet providing java script layer for SWAT
services.

Have you had any experience with qooxdoo toolkit yet ?

cheers,
--
Rafal Szczesniak
Samba Team member  http://www.samba.org