svn commit: samba r21991 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source: include lib libsmb smbd

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 29 07:47:52 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 09:41 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> jra at samba.org schrieb:
> > Author: jra
> > Date: 2007-03-27 21:13:31 +0000 (Tue, 27 Mar 2007)
> > New Revision: 21991
> >
> > WebSVN: http://websvn.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?view=rev&root=samba&rev=21991
> >
> > Log:
> > I hate Steve French :-). Add support for encryption
> > contexts....
> > Jeremy.
>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> can you explain that a bit more?
>
> What is the typical request sequence to establish the encryption context?
>
> So the encryption context is attached to the connection_struct (which is
> a tree connect in samba3)?
>
> Wouldn't it be better to attach it to the session id instead of the tree
> id, as a tree id can be used by multiple sessions.
>
> (I assume in SMB2 the signing is also attached to the session)
>
> It would be really nice to have a specification of all this in our wiki
> or so.

Indeed.  I've just been starting to try and pin this down for Samba4,
and a good writeup would be invaluable.

BTW, I really, really would prefer if the NTLMSSP signature was in front
of the packet.  This would match what NTLM and GSS-SPNEGO(ntlm) does in
all other protocols, and therefore what a SASL or GSSAPI library would
naturally do in another implementation.