LDB releases

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at vernstok.nl
Tue Mar 27 19:39:56 GMT 2007

Hi Simo, Tridge,

For two reasons, I think it would be nice to have releases of LDB
(standalone) with version numbers out of sync with Samba 4.

1) At the moment, LDB has been packaged in Debian as part of Samba 4.
This has a few consequences:

 * Follows Samba 4 versioning (4.0.0~tp3), so no API guarantees per
   version
 * Tied to the samba source package in other ways (can't enter
   the same distribution as samba)
 * Lots of dependencies on other Samba packages because of the modules
   provided.

I think the ldb Debian package should be based on the standalone ldb (i.e. with
dependencies on just tdb and talloc) and not be packaged as part of Samba 4.
That would significantly reduce the number of dependencies and would make
it possible for ldb to enter Debian Sid and eventually testing and not just
experimental.

2) Ideally, I also think it would be nice if ldb ended up in the same
situation as popt is at the moment, where we can use
library provided by the system (if the version is recent enough), or, if not
available, the one provided with Samba.

However, both of these situations require there to be ldb releases
with version numbers of some sort. Would it be possible to have a version
number somewhere (I guess configure.ac would do), that is updated when
API-incompatible changes are introduced, new features are introduced, etc?

Eventually, it would also be nice to have tarballs of these
releases on the site so they can be used by other developers that are
interested in using ldb in their software.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Jelmer