HP-UX ACL code for modularized ACL-implemetation

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Thu Mar 22 00:06:49 GMT 2007

Hi Don,

the complete ACL support has been moved from the monolithic
lib/sysacls.c file, in which the implementation to use is
selected by compile time defines based upon results of configure
to the moduluraized solution with vfs modules. The interface
still resides in lib/sysacls.c and still one implementation is
selected at compile time but the functions in lib/sysacls.c
now just point to the corresponding vfs module (one of which
is statically linked into samba). So to samba, nothing has
changed, the new mechanism is just the old one moved to other
places, but behind the scenes a lot has changed. There is a
whole new samba-acl layer, abstracting many of the posix acl
calls and leaving the concrete implementation to just fill a
hand full of essential ones that do the actual file system
interaction. So the transition to the modularized variant was
not just splitting up of one source file to several but a
little more work. The motivation for this modularization was
the need to be able to use several acl implementations at a time.

So the short answer is: Yes, this effort is to move the
implementation from lib/sysacls.c to the vfs layer.
But here is the catch:

The new implementation was up to now only present in SAMBA_3_0,
not in the release branches. But it will replace the old one in
3.0.25.  But the hp-ux acl implementation there is still a dummy.
So there will be no hp-ux acl support in 3.0.25. The vfs_hpuxacl.c
file I send earlier is the still missing module for HP-UX. But as
detailed before I could not test it with current code. In
principle it provides all the functionality of the old sysacls.c
implementation, and I believe it to be complete and correct.
But of course, someone has to test it. I had the intention to ask
for testing earlier, but then as always the new release, imagined
to be still far away, comes at a surprise, despite all the
announcements... :-) I am sorry for that.

Best,
Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9