force group with security=ads, winbind and local(NIS) groups not working

Hansjörg Maurer Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Tue Mar 20 06:51:38 GMT 2007

Hi Jerry

> You are mixing tokens.  You want to authenticate against
> AD but not use the group token.  So don't run winbindd.
> This will force smbd to attempt to map the Windows user
> logged on via AD to a local Unix account and therefore
> get the list of supplementary groups from Unix rather than
> AD.

I know, that even if this configuration worked up to now, it is not a
proper design :-)
The force group parameter works,  as you suggested, without using winbind.

But when we run winbind (with idmap uid = 10000-10000), all files a user
creates on the samba share
under windows show the owner "DOMAINNAME\Username" (security dialog)
Without winbind the User gets "Unix User\Username" in the security dialog.

I am not sure, if this could affect a windows user (e.g. when copying
files to locale disks with xcopy).
But if a user adds an ACL for another User to a file, he selects
"DOMAINNAME/Username" in the dialog, and after saving,
the ACL shows up as "Unix User/Username".

But as I told before, I think we might have used a feature, which was
not primarly designed
but works nicely :-) , and  we already plan to move towards a single
userdatabase at the end of the year (not NIS and AD in parallel and
this  name mapping).

Regards

Hansjörg

> cheers, jerry

Deutsches Zentrum fuer Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.
in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft

Institut fuer Robotik und Mechatronik

Dr. Hansjörg Maurer

LAN- und Systemmanager