force group with security=ads, winbind and local(NIS) groups not working

Hansjörg Maurer Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Mon Mar 19 16:40:04 GMT 2007

Hi Simo

we do not have ANY groups in windows appart from the built-in groups.
The Unix-system gets ALL ist user/group information from NIS.
In the AD-domain we have all Users with identical Windows-User-names,
and the fileservers (Samba and netapp) used to map this names to the
unix-names automatically
(using a Unix-Filesystem).

Up to 3.0.24 the  force group parameter in smb.conf
seems to use the unix group automatically.

Due to the fact, we do not have any windows groups, we do not have any
SID's for
windows-groups, and therefore I thought, that I do not have to map Unix
Groups to not existing windows-groups.
It would be a problem to map 60 Unix groups on 10 samba-servers....

In the Security Setting Dialog of a file on the samba-server (using
posix ACL's)
the Unix-Users showed up automatically as Domainname\Username
The Unix-Groups show up as Unix Group\Groupname.

Regards

Hansjörg

simo wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 16:56 +0100, Hansjörg Maurer wrote:
>
>> an additional information
>> the errormessage on the XP-Client shows:
>> "the groupname could not be found"
>> (translated from german)
>>

> Have you groupmapped the group terrain to a domain group?
>
> Simo.

Deutsches Zentrum fuer Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.
in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft

Institut fuer Robotik und Mechatronik

Dr. Hansjörg Maurer

LAN- und Systemmanager