storing our machine account name in secrets.tdb

Tue Mar 13 19:40:31 GMT 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:47:28AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Volker,  Are you sure this is worth it?  I mean a
> dhcp client that doesn't specify its name in smb.conf
> is just broken in my opinion.  I consider this more
> of a configuration error and covering over it might
> cause more pain that is fixes.

Do you think so? I could imagine becoming more robust if we
store the correct account name we joined as in secrets.tdb.
Can't say 100% why, but to me this just "feels" the right
thing to do. Storing the hostname in secrets.tdb makes
renaming a single step, the admin does not have to make sure
that the smb.conf or hostname is correctly adapted.

> I mean all systems I can think Linux or otherwise
> allow you to decouple the hostname from the DHCP
> address and name.

Sure, but fully taking care of the machine account with all
aspects ourselves takes away this duty from the admin. I'm
not really enthusiastic about this change, so if you have
real concerns it might destabilize things I might think
about other solutions.

Volker