"Ensure to check for proto_exists before linking any binary." ?

Bjoern Jacke bjoern at j3e.de
Tue Mar 13 09:40:24 GMT 2007

Hi Lars,
On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 11:54:10PM +0100, Lars Müller wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:11:49PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> >
> > Since r21552 with GNU make version 3.81 all binaries are
> > always re-linked, even if nothing has changed.
>
> That's not intended.
>
> It was caused by the missing reference.  Now we touch proto_exists after
> we made the rule proto_exists and the other rules are able to measure if
> they are current or not.  Fixed with rev 21804.  Volker, thanks for the
> catch.
>
> But I'm still not happy with the dependencies as we run in trouble as
> soon as we modify a file one of our header files depends on.  That was
> one of the motivations of the initial change.  I'm trying to address
> this the next days.

I fixed the whole thing some time ago with the patch from
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2006-October/049810.html

Or better take the following, the lists.samba.org archive is broken with
pgp signed messages:

http://marc.info/?l=samba-technical&m=116050864904767&w=2

The reason why that patch was not committed was that Jelmer said that %
isn't supported by non-GNU make implementations. I'm still not sure
about that but maybe you can figure out if make supports % in configure
and use that (or not) in the makefile accordingly then?

Cheers
Bjoern