"Ensure to check for proto_exists before linking any binary." ?

Lars Müller lars at samba.org
Mon Mar 12 22:54:10 GMT 2007

Hi Volker,

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:11:49PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> Since r21552 with GNU make version 3.81 all binaries are
> always re-linked, even if nothing has changed.

That's not intended.

It was caused by the missing reference.  Now we touch proto_exists after
we made the rule proto_exists and the other rules are able to measure if
they are current or not.  Fixed with rev 21804.  Volker, thanks for the
catch.

But I'm still not happy with the dependencies as we run in trouble as
soon as we modify a file one of our header files depends on.  That was
one of the motivations of the initial change.  I'm trying to address
this the next days.

Lars