[Ltp-coverage] lcov for Samba4, relitative names

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 8 11:30:45 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 09:52 +0100, Peter Oberparleiter wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 16:17 +0100, Peter Oberparleiter wrote:
> >> Have a look at the --compat-libtool option of lcov (again, cvs version only).
> >
> > I'll take a look (I hadn't noticed this option), but why does this need
> > to be an option?  libtool behaviour is fairly easy to detect (nobody
> > else likes .libs like libtool does!), and in our build farm environment,
> > the more generic the better.
>
> The current incarnation of --compat-libtool has only been around since
> january and only in the cvs version (it used to be included in an
> earlier cvs version, but I removed it again after falsely assuming
> that --base-directory would also cover libtool abnormality).
>
> In my opinion, assuming the source code directory to be located in the
> parent directory for every data file found in a directory named
> ".libs" is a hack. I strongly believe (or hope) that there must be a
> better, more universal way to fix this problem but didn't yet have the
> time to really look for it. That's why I (re-)added this patch,
> somewhat reluctantly, and hid it behind the --compat-libtool option.
>
> While not currently implemented, this option could also be added to
> the settings that can be specified in the lcovrc file, so that it
> could be treated as "quasi-default" on systems with the respective
> lcovrc file installed.

The problem is, lcovrc is per-host, but the settings need to be
per-project.

I can adjust our various systems to know that lorikeet-heimdal uses
libtool (etc), but for a project like this, there is a lot of value in
having it 'just work' (because it gets new users productive quickly,
before they loose interest).