[Fwd: Re: 3.0.25 svn rev. 21433]

Rainer Link link at unfug.org
Mon Mar 5 07:00:31 GMT 2007

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 09:11:00PM -0500, simo wrote:
> > I see no gain in putting the code in our tree because it will
> > make it harder for the people maintaining the virus code
> > scanning portions.  We really have to break ourselves from
> > relying monolithic coding practices (IMO).
>
> It would be much easier if we could use a standardized protocol to pass
> filenames and/or streams of data into a pipe, and let antivirus vendors
> implement the listening daemon. This way we would not have to care about
> the scanning side and I bet many other projects would benefit as well
> (ftp/http servers for uploads, web proxies, mail servers ...)

Greetings from Manila, and I'm sorry, just a quick & short reply.

a) Simo, I was using ICAP (www.i-cap.org) for this. But ICAP has it's
limitation and not every vendor is supporting it

b) I'm not able to follow the samba dev, but would it be possible to
send an announcement directly to me or to a mailinglist for every
change(s) to the VFS layer? Which explains the changes as well?

c) I currently consider to send an announcement to openantivrus-announce
that I'm looking for a new maintainer for sama-vscan

d) well, actually, it would be even better to re-write samba-vscan from
scratch, as it has some old & long-time design issues ...

Thanks

cheers, Rainer