Comparision of Git & Bzr [was Re: Short HOWTO on using git for Samba development]

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Tue Jun 26 18:39:52 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 18:29:29 James Peach wrote:

> > I mean we could start a fresh new repo in git or bzr
> > just like we did when converting to svn from cvs.
>
> IMO that was a big mistake. We switched over too soon before tools to
> migrate history were available.
>
> We absolutely must have the author history, if only to maintain
> correct copyright attributions when moving code around.

Importing history should work pretty well for git. When Wine moved to Git, we
managed to actually restore the history of an older cvs repos that the
development cvs repository didn't have anymore.

I haven't been involved with the conversion process but it should be possible.
If you're interested, I can bug Alexandre and whoever else converted Wine to
see how that was done.

Cheers,
Kai
--