Comparision of Git & Bzr [was Re: Short HOWTO on using git for Samba development]

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Jun 26 15:01:15 GMT 2007

Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

>> * speed
>> * disk and RAM footprint
>
> Yeah, I have to agree with these.

I don't want o be at a dead horse but a few more numbers.
I'm sitting on the end of a cable modem (5MB up/512KB down).
I'm using bzr 0.17 and the bzr trees should be using the
latest formats.

       control: Meta directory format 1
  working tree: Working tree format 4
        branch: Branch format 5
    repository: Knit repository format 1

Branching via HTTP:

  $ time bzr branch http://www.samba.org/~jerry/bzr/SAMBA_3_0.bzr
  Branched 6221 revision(s).

  real    9m37.944s
  user    0m53.223s
  sys     0m10.101s

  $ time bzr branch http://www.samba.org/~jerry/bzr/SAMBA_4_0.bzr
  Branched 12375 revision(s).
  real    56m29.143s
  user    2m53.931s
  sys     0m38.538s

Branching from a local mirror:

  $ time bzr branch /data/src/mirror/bzr/SAMBA_3_0.bzr
  Branched 6222 revision(s).
  real    2m18.386s
  user    0m45.163s
  sys     0m9.445s

  $ time bzr branch /data/src/mirror/bzr/SAMBA_4_0.bzr
  Branched 12375 revision(s).

  real    9m52.150s
  user    2m27.233s
  sys     0m42.211s

Branching the 3.0 tree maxed out at a VSZ of 200MB. Branch
the 4.0 tree maxed out at a VSZ of 335MB.  Some of this may
just be a rsult of python's garbage collection and memory
management.

I would be very concerned about scaling a bzr repo with our
existing number of svn commits.  Granted that we coud drop
the svn history and that a DSCM system may not see the same
high number f commits as the "svn-commit-to-save" pattern
we have here, but long term this could be a real problem.

I don't want to start out with performance issues.
And I don't see rsync as a valid means of initial branching.
bzr should stand on its own without alternative means of
obtaining the initial tree.

cheers, jerry