Short HOWTO on using git for Samba development

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Jun 26 11:14:25 GMT 2007

Hi Tridge,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 09:07:51PM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
>  > For the last half year I've used Bazaar for my Samba code, but while
>  > local performance has improved it's really, really slow to push across the
>  > full history of Samba over the wire all the time. Until lazy
>  > repositories/history horizons (being able to push/pull a tree without its
>  > history) land, I'll go back to Subversion for my Samba code.
> I've been using bzr for the 3.0-ctdb tree, and found that it works
> quite fast as long as you use rspush for pushing, and use rsync for
> initial checkouts (using any other local tree for rsync to feed off
> for the initial pull).
You've got only part of the history - I've got all 20k-odd revisions,
and each push will have to check whether all those 20k revisions are
present on the remote host. Also, last time I checked rspush only
supported standalone branches, not repositories. That would mean
sending about 200M every time I create a branch...

I need all these revisions since they are required for bzr-svn to work
correctly (until the history horizon stuff lands).

Cheers,

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> - http://jelmer.vernstok.nl/