Short HOWTO on using git for Samba development

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Tue Jun 26 09:52:46 GMT 2007

Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> This has the advantage for git that if you import the same tree by
> different means (two people import a tarball independently), the tree
> will have be considered the same by git and it won't worry about
> history. Bazaar or mercurial will consider the history of the trees as
> well and this has the consequence that tools like bzr-svn have to work
> on the full history (for now) and thus are much more complex than
> git-svn.

  My $0.02 is that it's a corner case.  If you're trying to merge to
trees, then:

  a) history is important, so you should merge that, too
OR
  b) history isn't important, in which case "diff/patch" are OK

> I really think Bazaar has the best approach of the various DVCS systems.
> They are also the (only?) one that focussed on correctness of model
> first rather than speed and that's really breaking them up at the
> moment.

  That's a real plus.

> For the last half year I've used Bazaar for my Samba code, but while
> local performance has improved it's really, really slow to push across the
> full history of Samba over the wire all the time. Until lazy
> repositories/history horizons (being able to push/pull a tree without its
> history) land, I'll go back to Subversion for my Samba code.

  Mercurial has an initial implementation of partial pulls, without
syncing the whole history.

http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/OverlayRepository

  I don't know about other systems.

  Alan DeKok.