svn commit: samba r23597 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source/script: .

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Jun 25 16:08:52 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 11:02 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Simo,

> >> I was just extremely surprised as it seems that I have been
> >> the only one interested in the 80-column thing so far.
> >
> > I always found annoying to be cramped in 80 columns
> > when my terminals are usually between 130 and 200 chars
> > wide, but if we make it a policy to be so constrained
> > then so be it.
>
> I'm really just raising the discussion.   I think we just
> need agreement.  We have too much code reformatting (based
> on personal preference) in our patches.   There's been a
> loose agreement on formatting in the past and I've never
> been a big fan of Coding Style rules.  But as we try to
> expand the developer pool, an unspoken agreement is insufficient.

I hate reformatting patches more than anything else, even more than 80
columns limits. In samba4 we started having a style convention shortly
after the branch was created (not sure we always followed that though).

I am all for setting a style convention, it makes the code much more
readable. And I am ok with the kernel convention (which is roughly what
we have in samba4 and afaics very close to what we use in samba3).

simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer