Short HOWTO on using git for Samba development

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Mon Jun 25 14:46:59 GMT 2007

On Monday 25 June 2007 16:13:20 simo wrote:

> > If we were to swap to git, the full svn import would be < 160M
> > so the pull be only be slightly longer.
>
> The only problem I see with git/bzr as the main tree is that it seem to
> introduce a gatekeeper to the "official" tree forcing all people to send
> around patches instead of just committing.
> This work flow model is ok if a few people work on a very isolated part
> of a tree, or on some experimental features, but if you need to
> collaborate it may make things more annoying.

Shouldn't a centralized git repos fix this with people using git-push? That
would still give you the benefits of easy branching and merging that git
provides while keeping a centralized repository for collaboration.

I've never used git-push for collaborative development, but for syncing
development on two boxes, it was working just fine.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin