Preserving NTFS permissions.

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Jun 20 16:51:59 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 11:44 -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> I'm working with someone who has a large-scale deployment using Samba 3 to
> serve lots of Windows clients.  They're running into a small problem with
> permission settings.
>
> Basically, the default mappings that Samba performs in order to store
> permissions (the stuff done in dosmode.c, mostly) is "changing" the bits
> that the end-users are setting.  They'd like to more closely preserve the
> NTFS permission settings.

If you mean the dos attributes, you should really go with the classic:
store dos attributes = yes
map read only = no
map archive = no
map system = no
map hidden = no

and let samba store the bits in an EA.
This will get off the way the annoying manipulation of the x bits and
the r for the user).

> It appears as though this is something that could be done using the VFS
> layer.  In particular, I should be able to store the full NTFS ACE in an EA.
>  Something I read suggests that Samba 4 is already doing this.
>
> Does anyone have any experience setting this up under Samba 3?

Not sure we can really do this with the current samba3 VFS
infrastructure. In any case storing the ACL in an EA is not the problem,
the problem is then enforcing them.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce