[Linux-ha-dev] CTDB and clustered Samba

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Tue Jun 12 10:42:31 GMT 2007

Lars,

 > CTDB is built on top of a cluster filesystem layer.

not quite - CTDB relies on one being there, but doesn't actually use
it much itself. CTDB opens exactly 1 file on the cluster fs, that file
never has any data in it, and CTDB holds exactly 1 byte of lock on
that file on one of the nodes. That's it. That file is the key to CTDB
ensuring that it has the same view of the topology of the cluster as
the filesystem does.

The services that use CTDB (such as Samba and NFS) open heaps of files
on the cluster fs of course :)

The data that CTDB holds is actually held in memory on each node
(using mmap to local database files). That makes access very
fast. This memory is shared directly with applications (via tdb) which
means a Samba process can access a database record as local memory
with zero context switches in the (very likely!) event that the record
happens to reside on the local node at the time it needs it.

This all means that Samba on a CTDB cluster runs just as fast as
non-clustered Samba for most operations. That's very hard to achieve
with the normal approach to clustering.

 > Any cluster filesystem layer (be it GFS2 on openAIS or OCFS2
 > w/Linux HA, both moving towards openAIS) already has a reliable
 > messaging and locking layer beneath it, and almost always, a
 > fail-over, DLM, election etc solution too.

yes, and they all are slow and provide the wrong sorts of guarantees
for what CTDB is doing. I spent years waiting for one of those systems
to get to the point that Samba could use it. I wrote tests showing
what the problems were, and then walked up to all the cluster fs
vendors at conferences and showed them my tests. They all performed
terribly.

Then I realised _why_ they all are so bad. When you write some data to
a cluster fs, or a cluster database, and the node you wrote to dies
immediately after it replies, then the developers of that cluster fs
want to guarantee that the data you wrote is not lost. That's what
they mean by a reliable clustering system.

How do they provide this guarantee? They either have to ensure the
data is committed to stable shared storage (pieces of metal or very
slow shared nv-ram) or they need to replicate the data to all nodes
before they reply. That is the only way to provide that guarantee.

The thing is, Samba on CTDB does not need that guarantee. Samba needs
to guarantee that user data is not lost. Samba is quite happy to lose
certain well defined pieces of the meta-data associated with its
connections. Knowing exactly what you can safely lose is the key to
CTDB. It turns out that the data that CTDB can lose is the data that
is most frequently updated and written, so by designing a system where
we can lose that data, we remove the biggest bottleneck.

 > At first glance, it appears you're reimplementing those infrastructure
 > services then on top of the clustered fs again.

no, CTDB is built on top of a stream network transport (TCP or
Infiniband currently).

 > Would it not be more efficient to directly use the same services the fs
 > is also using ...?

you are welcome to try. I spent years trying to get these services to
get good enough for Samba to use. The problems that cluster
filesystems try to solve and the problems that Samba+CTDB try to solve
are different enough that trying to build one on the other doesn't
work.

 > More specifically, because this is what we're currently working on
 > moving the Linux HA project (the clustered resource manager parts at
 > least) towards - have you investigated whether openAIS can meet your
 > requirements as well?

I haven't run my tests against openAIS, no. I'd be very surprised if
its a good fit though.

Basically the perfect transport for CTDB is TCP or a similar stream
transport, and luckily enough that's pretty widely available, so I'm
happy to use it :-)

I guess you could write a CTDB backend that uses openAIS messaging
(the backends are pluggable in CTDB). If someone tries that then I'd
be interested in hearing how it goes. I'll be quite surprised if it
does any better than what we do now, and I actually expect it will do
worse, as it means two layers of event driven programming rather than
one, and extra layers of marshalling, extra layers of error handling
etc.

Cheers, Tridge