svn commit: samba r23322 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0_26/source: . groupdb

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Jun 6 10:11:05 GMT 2007

Jerry,

 > If you feel comfortable enough with it, I'd rather just drop
 > the selectable backend option.  We might leave it in for testing
 > but I would like to avoid it in the final 3.0.26 release.
 > It can take so long to remove parameters from smb.conf once
 > they are in released version.
 >
 > What do you think?

I don't see the harm in having these sorts of options in the code, but
deliberately not documenting them. They give us options in case a
subsystem has a security hole, and we can then say in an advisory
"here is the simple workaround, add this to smb.conf". It would mean
some work for admins (moving their groups back to the tdb, which is
not automated) but its doable.

I don't actually expect this will be needed as I am very confident of
this code, I just don't see the harm in keeping options open.

It can also have unexpected benefits. For example, Volker just pointed
out that ldb doesn't obey the "use mmap" option for it's underlying
tdb files. I will fix that tonight, but if we had discovered this
after the release then we might have had to do a new release just to
work around the broken mmap in HPUX, whereas otherwise we can get a
few days grace by announcing to the mailing lists that HPUX users
should set the option to use tdb based group mapping.

So I would prefer to keep this sort of option in, but I won't complain
loudly if you take it out.

Cheers, Tridge