getting rid of mkproto.sh from Samba3

Henrik Nordstrom henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Mon Jun 4 21:15:48 GMT 2007

mån 2007-06-04 klockan 08:52 -0700 skrev James Peach:

> In general my view is that code written by humans should also have a
> declaration written by humans. I've never found adding prototypes to
> be a burden, so I have difficulty understanding the point of view that
> maintaining header files is such an imposition.

Same view here even if I am not really working on the Samba code and my
word on the subject is just an outsiders view from working on a number
of other projects.

Writing down the prototype is part of thinking over the module API. If
it's not worth the effort then that function probably should not be
exported by the module in the first place and instead implemented as a
static function within the module only.

And having these prototypes in a separate file makes one think a little
more before changing how the function is called, remembering that there
should be users of the function around elsewhere in the source tree or
others work in progress. And also makes it easier to see when there is
considerable overlap between similar functions of the same module (or
other even modules if all prototypes is collected in the same file).

Regards
Henrik