getting rid of mkproto.sh from Samba3

James Peach jpeach at samba.org
Mon Jun 4 02:06:27 GMT 2007

On 03/06/2007, at 6:59 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 08:29:48PM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>>
>> mkproto.sh promotes lazing programming, leads to bad interfaces
>> and to monolithic code.

This is the basic reason why I don't like mkproto.sh. I'd also add that
	- it makes it impossible to do incremental builds
	- it makes it harder to find existing interfaces, raising the
barrier to contributions
	- it makes it harder to document existing interfaces
	- leads to false sharing, forcing trivial tools to link most of lib/

mkproto.sh makes it easier once, when you add a a new global symbol,
but the costs of it last forever and affect the whole codebase.

>> We should all suffer the pain of change *.h and *.c when
>> change an interface.  I strongly agree with James on this one
>> since it was already on my list of things to work on.
>
> Hmmmm. Ok, so shall we start from a current working
> interface set and then remove "make proto" ? For 3.0.26 ?

Yep. My plan was to do a "make headers", check in the result and
remove the proto generator roles and scripts. Once that is done, I/we
can gradually start paring the proto.h files down into well-defined
interfaces.

James Peach | jpeach at samba.org