[Samba] Re: samba 4 svn23995 live CD release (maybe tp6?) dsa.msc works!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jul 25 22:09:21 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 17:51 -0400, Josh Kelley wrote:
> On 7/24/07, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> > Keep testing and reporting issues, particularly on samba-technical and
> > in bugzilla.
> >
> > We have a wide range of clients to keep working, so just checking all
> > sorts of combinations is a great help.  It's not just windows:
> >
> >  - Samba 3.0 (latest)
> >  - Samba 3.0 (older) - someone can remind me when we changed the join
> > code
> >  - Mac OSX
> >
> > Naturally, checking windows versions is also really helpful:
> >  - Win2k SP0 (tricky kerberos issues make it an interesting test)
> >  - win2k latest SP
> >  - winXP SP0
> >  - winXP SP1
> >  - winXP SP2
> >  - win2k3
> >  - win2k3 SP1
> >  - win2k3 R2 with SP2
>
> This is a bit of a tangent, but I've been curious how the Samba team
> does testing like this during development.  Is it primarily done
> manually?  Has anyone tried setting up something like VMware to do
> some automated testing?  Were there any particular issues involved in
> doing so?

For Samba4, we mainly do scripted automated testing, mostly using
Samba's client tests against the same version of our server.  This
naturally could create some issues where bugs that are identical in
client and server are masked, so we have one host on the build farm that
does a limited number of automated tests against windows, with VMware.

(This VMware setup needs expansion and reproduction, if you want to
help :-)

When we modify a smbtorture test, we should ensure it passes against the
current version of windows server (currently win2k3).

For Samba3, a subset of the Samba4 smbtorture tests are run, which
removes a lot of the issues with the testsuite and the server being the
same code.

For clients, I tend to test a domain join and domain logon with WinXP.
I know Jerry does a lot of manual testing, particularly running up to a
release.

I've just started using KVM on my new workstation (trying to avoid
problems with the VMware kernel module), but VMware is the primary tool
of choice in the team, as far as I know.  Well before they provided free
VMware server licences generally, they have provided the team with
VMware GSX, which was very, very useful to us.