GPLv2-only users of Samba library code?

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Fri Jul 6 00:24:32 GMT 2007

Hi Tridge,

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 09:13:39AM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> If you are the author/maintainer of a GPLv2-only application, and you
> use any Samba library code (such as libsmbclient, talloc, tdb, ldb
> etc) then please get in touch.

> We are currently looking at moving future releases of our library code
> to LGPLv3, and this might pose difficulties for projects that are
> using our library code and are released under GPLv2-only.

> Note that this only applies to GPLv2 projects that do not have the "or
>  (at your option) any later version" wording in the copyright notices.

The following reverse-dependencies of libsmbclient in Debian appear to be
licensed under the GPLv2 only; some of them have an ambiguous license, and
the copyright holders would need to be contacted for us to know for sure
what the intent is.

gnome-cups-manager:  ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/gnome-cups-manager,
	Dave Camp <dave at ximian.com>
mplayer:  http://www.mplayerhq.hu/
smbc:  https://sf.net/projects/smbc, Rafal Michniewicz <rafim at data.pl>
smbnetfs:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/smbnetfs,
	Mikhail Kshevetskiy <kl at laska.dorms.spbu.ru>

libsmbclient is also used in libgnomevfs2-extra; I'm not sure what the
license implications are, but I don't doubt that at least some GNOME
applications are GPLv2-only.

HTH,
vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/