Updates to work flow descriptions for GIT

James Peach jpeach at samba.org
Thu Jul 5 16:07:48 GMT 2007

On Jul 4, 2007, at 2:09 AM, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> Gerald (Jerry) Carter schrieb:
>> FYI...
>>
>> I've updated work flow section of the GIT howto:
>>
>> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_Git_for_Samba_Development#Work_Flow
>>
>> It's not "War and Peace", but it is something :-)
>
> Hi Jerry,
>
> can you also explain, how you used git-svn?
>
> I just noticed it's important to use exactly the same svn url
> as you've used to get the same git sha1 hashes for a commit.
>
> I used:
> git-svn init -t tags -b branches svn+ssh://svn.samba.org/data/svn/
> samba
> git-svn fetch
>
> (notice when using svn+ssh://svn.samba.org/home/svn/samba, you'll get
> different results...)
>
> how do you managed to only have the interesting branches instead of
> all?

git-svn init svn+ssh://svn.samba.org/data/svn/samba
[edit .git/config]
git-svn fetch

When you edit .git/config, make it look like this:

[svn-remote "svn"]
         url = svn+ssh://svn.samba.org/data/svn/samba
         fetch = branches/SAMBA_3_0:refs/remotes/samba3
         fetch = branches/SAMBA_4_0:refs/remotes/samba4
         fetch = branches/SAMBA_3_0_25:refs/remotes/samba3025

ie. remove the wildcards and add explicit mappings for the branches
you care about. you can add new mappings later and 'git-svn fetch'
will pick them up.

> do you use git-svn dcommit ? If so it would be interesting what the
> workflow is to commit from back to svn from a local feature branch

git-svn dcommit will commit back to any branch that is mirroring an
svn branch. Using a local feature branch and dcommiting back to svn
works perfectly.

James Peach | jpeach at samba.org