Install additional header-files to allow separate plugin builds

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Jul 5 15:37:48 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 15:03 +0200, Tiziano Müller wrote:
> Gerald (Jerry) Carter schrieb:
> > Tiziano Müller wrote:
> >> I just wondered recently why all available plugins (samba-vscan, pdbsql)
> >> need the complete samba source tree to build. So I started to experiment
> >> and with the tree below, it's possible to successfully build the
> >> mentioned plugins/backends (but didn't test them yet :-)
> >
> >> Now, are there any plans to install the relevant header-files in the
> >> future? Even if the API is still unstable?
> >
> > It's not a good idea to install all these headers.  We need to
> > clean up  the code to allow a small set of public headers
> > that people can build against.
> I know that it's a bad idea. The problem is only that at the moment
> samba-vscan is integrated into the samba-package here on Gentoo (don't
> worry, the user has to enable it separately). And we got another request
> for pdbsql. The only possibility for us to separate the packages is to
> install those headers.
>
> Is there somebody working on it or some concrete plans when the cleanup
> will happen?
> At the moment, samba-vscan and pdbsql are broken anyway for samba-3.0.25
> due to api-changes, so, no hurry :-)
As far as I know there isn't anybody actively working on anything at the
moment.

Rather than installing all we thing could be public, I think it makes
sense to start by installing just the things that are being used by
plugins /and/ we think should be public. We can always expand later, if
necessary. So I think the first step towards getting this resolved would
be to investigate what functions plugins such as samba-vscan and
samba-pdbsql need exported.

Cheers,

Jelmer